Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Full scale rabbit alert...

I think on the whole there had been at best a subtle optimism when it came to rabbits and our community garden, and at worst denial of what can now be said to be 'the inevitable'. Well the optimism has been shattered and the denial put asunder. The 12 inch raised beds are definitely not enough to deter our little furry friends (some as large as I goats I think) from nibbling our greens. Unfortunately some of our gardener's beds, the plants that are more mature, have been the targeted victims. So until we get our laser guided rabbit defense system installed you have a few options, either fence your garden or feed the rabbits. There are also so called rabbit proof plants, but I think our rabbits are of some mutant breed that don't follow the established rabbit plant rules, as their eating habits haven't been all that discerning to date. I have put a small fence around our garden and a few other gardeners have erected fences varying from chicken wire to decorative landscape fencing. Our struggle continues, we shall prevail!
Just to prove that our rabbit problem is no laughing matter I scoured the Internet for rabbit jokes and the following is the best I could find.

Bunny Humour:

Waiter, what is this hare doing in my salad?
I believe he's eating your lettuce.
(That's right, there is clearly no humour when it comes to rabbits)

1 comment:

  1. Guess staying wire free is a dream, unless my plan is to feed those wild rabbits some healthy veggies, like my celeries and strawberries...Sunny

    ReplyDelete