Thursday, August 19, 2010

Serenity now...

Things have been rather busy this summer. Today was the first day I had a chance to get to the garden in the last two or three weeks, for more than a peek. It's days like today that help remind me why community gardens are so great. Let me recount why I love Harvest Gardens.

First, the exercise. Though mostly from trying to avoid the mosquitoes, which usually then leads to me going crazy and trying to squash as many as possible. Some watering, weeding and harvesting always works up a good sweat. Nothing is a better stress reliever, the exercise that is not the mosquitoes, though maybe I should sell mosquitoes as a workout.

Second, the atmosphere. I think within about 5 minutes of watering and picking and weeding I was completely engulfed by the garden and everything it brings. I didn't think about anything else except whether I was picking the peas properly or not. Do you leave the little flowery part on the vine or break it off with the peas? Regardless the flowers and greenery have an amazing calming effect.

Third, the veggies. So I picked some peas, about 3 carrots, and maybe 20 odd lbs. of lettuce. What does that get you? With a glass of cool water to relieve the heat caused by running away from the mosquitoes, it gets you the best dinner ever. I think somehow my carrots are sneaking into the grocery store and stealing all the flavour from those carrots, with the peas as their accomplice. Unfortunately, to avoid detection by the carrot flavour police, my little orange friends are staying remarkably small.

Fourth and finally, the people. About one hour at the garden gets you a chat with two great garden members, a chance to meet a few neighbors, and helps you see what actually goes on in the neighborhood. Unknown to myself we have quite the bustling community on nice summer afternoons.

So if "the man" has got you down or if you're feeling a little blahhh remember to visit Harvest Gardens. It certainly did the job for me today. And thank you a boat load to whoever keeps replenishing the mosquito spray, I owe you about a pint of blood.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree! I can't believe how gardening can be such a great relieve to my stress...The joy of seeing the produces have grown so well makes me forget many unhappiness in my life.

    ReplyDelete