Thursday, September 2, 2010

Epiphany, inspired by frost...

It would seem that Harvest Gardens is a frost magnet. While many yards in the Northern Hills have been chilly lately, it is clear from the pictures below that our little lakeside oasis is getting more than its fair share of the summer cold snap (no that's not a mistake, summer cold snap).

While many of our plants have seen better days it's not all doom and gloom. Joanne informs me veggies such as beets actually get sweeter as their foliage dies off, and a potato's skin toughens up for better storage (hopefully I remembered that right). I guess mother nature has us covered for the most part. The carrots still look great, and there are other plants that seem unscathed by Oldman Winter's foray into the three fairer seasons (yes he makes appearances in all three).

If you have more delicate varieties I highly recommend paying a visit to your plot for an emergency harvest, before it is too late. This is a special warning to the tomato fans out there.



Sad Potatoes (but hopeful)


I would like to offer my condolences to anyone and their beans that have suffered the same fate as my own. Last words, keep sending out good vibes to your potatoes and mine, I know they're going to pull through, they've just got to. Good gardening, and fast harvesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment