Sunday, September 26, 2010

Free to compost, at last...

The perfect weekend finally arrived for building the compost bin. Unfortunately for my in-laws I conscripted their talents to help me out. I would like to thank them a bunch because I think I may have been a little overwhelmed if it weren't for their efforts.

Any who, after a beautiful Saturday and a little sweat but no tears (that I'm willing to admit to) Harvest Gardens has been adorned with a two bin compost system. Feel free to open it up and place your garden materials and other appropriate kitchen wastes in the bin. It will soon be in its final resting place, though if it moves I don't think you'll have trouble tracking down its new location. It will soon have a lock attached so that no one is tempted to add creative things to our bin (my mother in-law informed me that Chestermere recently had a dead goat placed in their recycling bins, so I think we'll err on the side of caution). Next year we will set up some learn to compost sessions. The bin is equipped with a rotating brace to keep the lid opened, and the front panels are removable if you need to rotate the compost or dig some out. I think the pictures below will help out more than these words. I also added some building pictures if anyone wanted to check it out.

Maybe no Da Vinci but plans all the same.

The materials.


First wall finished.
Progress.

Compost bin's view of Harvest Gardens.
Removable front panel.
Finished and in place.
Keeps the lid from knocking you on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment